The Prime Minister of the Republic of Moldova is - Ion Chicu
Government of the Republic of Moldova assures, according to the Constitution, the realization of the domestic and foreign policy of the country and performs the general management of public administration. The Government is organized and functions according to the constitutional provisions, based on a governance plan accepted previously by the Parliament. It is made up of a leader called prime-minister and a first deputy prime minister, deputy prime ministers, ministers and other members appointed through the organic law.
The Government assures the realization of the domestic and foreign policy of the country, performs the general management of public administration and it is responsible before the Parliament.
The Government has the following composition: prime-minister, first deputy prime minister, deputy prime ministers, ministers and other members appointed through the law. The members of the Government can be only the persons who are the citizens of the Republic of Moldova and who reside in the country.
The president of the Republic of Moldova after consulting the parliamentary parties, appoints a candidate for the function of prime-minister. The candidate for the function of prime-minister during 15 days from the appointment requires the Parliament vote of confidence on his activity program and the whole list of the Government. The president of the Republic of Moldova according to the vote of confidence offered by the Parliament, appoints the government. The prime minister, deputy prime minister, ministers and the other members of the Government should within three days from the date of appointment make an individual oath in front of the President of the Republic of Moldova, oath whose text is provided in the art.79 paragraph (2) from the Constitution. In the case of the government reshuffle or vacancy, the President of the Republic of Moldova revokes and appoints at the proposal of the prime minister some members of the Government. The Government exercises its mandate from the day its members made the oath before the President of the Republic of Moldova until the validation of the elections for a new Parliament.
The Government is responsible in front of the Parliament for its activity and at least once a year presents in front of the Parliament a report on its activity. The members of the Government are obliged to answer the questions offered by the deputies on the activity of the Government and its subordinated bodies, as it is established. The Government examines the decisions of the Parliament commissions about the activity of the Government and its subordinated bodies, presents to the commissions the results for the examined decisions or the measure undertaken about them. The sessions of Government are organized according to the situation, but not less than once per quarter. The agenda of Government sessions is approved by it at the proposal of the Government Presidium.
For coordination of the internal activity of the Government and for approving the project of agenda for the Government sessions, there is created the Government Presidium whose members are the prime minister and deputy prime ministers. The session of the Government Presidium is convoked by the Prime – minister and it is considered deliberative if all the members of the Presidium participate to it. In the case one deputy prime minister is absent, he should delegate a member of the Government for participating at the session with full rights. The decisions within the Presidium are adopted by consensus.
The Government (in corpore), and every member of the Government has the right to resign by his/her own initiative. Prime-minister resignation leads to the resignation of the government in full composition. The Prime-minister and the whole composition of the Government application for resignation is presented to the Parliament who pronounces about it. The applications for resignation from some members of the Government are presented to the Prime-minister and the President of the Republic of Moldova is informed about them.
The Government is dismissed in the case when:
The Parliament expressed its mistrust about the Government under the art. 106 and 1061 from the Constitution;
- The Prime-minister resigned or died;
- It was elected a new Parliament (on its first session).
Expressing to the Government the vote of no confidence
The Parliament at the proposal of at least one quarter from the deputies can express to the Government vote of no confidence.
The expression of no confidence to the Government is decided with the vote of the majority of the deputies.
Attributions of the on commission Government (resigner)
In the case of Parliament expression of no confidence vote, in the case of Prime-minister resignation or in the case of new Parliament election, the on commission Government (resigner) fulfills only the administrational functions of the public matters until the oath of the new members of the new Government.
In the period in which it is resigner, the Government is limited only in its right to assure the realization of the foreign policy and of legislative initiative in the fields which imply the elaboration and approval of new programs of activity.
The main attributions of the on commission Government (resigner):
- Assures the application of laws, no matter what is the filed regulated by it;
- Exercises the function of general management and control over the activity of the central bodies of specialty;
- Realizes the programs of economic and social development of the country;
- Assures the security of the state and its citizens, fulfilling functions of administration of public matters;
- Undertakes any management and economic activity in matters which are related to the whole society.
For the realization of the established attributions, the Government:
- Approves decisions and dispositions for the execution of laws;
- Approves the legislative initiatives;
- Elaborates and presents for being approved by the Parliament the project law of the state budget, proposes to the Parliament legislative initiatives for:
- The realization of obligations which result from the content of laws and their final dispositions in the limit established by the legislative primary framework;
- Assurance of domestic and foreign state security, maintenance of the state of legality, social, economic, financial and political and political stability and for avoiding the effects of the natural phenomena and of the unforeseeable factors which present a public danger;
- Can sign international agreements ten when their conclusion is necessary for the execution of laws adopted by the Parliament of the Republic of Moldova and/or they are necessary for assuring the domestic and foreign state security maintenance of the state of legality, social, economic, financial and political and political stability and for avoiding the effects of the natural phenomena and of the unforeseeable factors which present a public danger;
- Issues documents with individual character on the staff reshuffling.
You can find detailed information about the Government of the Republic of Moldova on the web page www.gov.md.